Ketogenic (keto) diet for weight loss has become one of the most popular diets of recent years.
But before going for a keto diet plan blindly, there must be “Convincing reasons you need to know to follow a ketogenic diet for weight loss”.
In this article, we will know all about the keto diet in detail.
Lets’s get started
What is Ketogenic Diet
A ketogenic diet or keto diet consists of high amounts of fat, a moderate amount of protein and a very limited amount of carbohydrate.
The dietary macronutrients are broken down into approximately 55% to 60% fat, 30% to 35% protein and 5% to 10% carbohydrates.
Specifically, carbohydrates amount up to 20 to 50 g per day, in a 2000 kcal per day diet.
How Ketogenic Diet Works
In crux, the keto diet is a diet that causes the body to release ketones into the bloodstream. Body cells prefer to use blood sugar which is derived from carbohydrates. After a few days of following a keto diet, your body enters Ketosis. The state when cells stop getting blood sugar from food than the body starts breaking down stored fat into molecules known as ketone bodies and the process is called ketosis.
As you reach ketosis, most cells will use ketone bodies to derive energy. This will continue until you start carbohydrates again.
Ketosis happens to start over two to four days of eating less than 20-50 grams of carbohydrates per day.
But bear in mind that some people need to follow a more restricted diet to reach ketosis since this is a highly individualized process.
Reasons to Follow a Ketogenic Diet for Weight Loss
The most popular reason people adopt a ketogenic diet is weight loss.
This has become clear from researches that a ketogenic diet results in rapid weight loss.
The weight loss comes initially from loss of water because you reduce carbs in your diet. And your body uses the carbohydrates stored in the liver, which hold onto water.
Since the keto diet encourages you to eat whole and high-fat foods, it results in further weight loss.
The main reason to lose weight with keto is less energy intake than you burn.
The ketogenic diet promotes weight loss in many ways, which includes boosting metabolism and reducing appetite.
Keto diet comprises foods that fill a person up and lowers hunger-stimulating hormone. This is the main reason, by following keto diet one may reduce appetite and burn fat which leads to weight loss.
What are Keto-Friendly Foods
Keto-friendly foods can be made with a combination of below:
- Butter and cream: Products of grass-fed animals, if possible.
- Cheese: Unprocessed cheddar, cream, goat, blue or mozzarella
- Nuts and seeds: Almonds, flax seeds, walnuts, chia and pumpkin seeds
- Healthy oils: Mainly extra virgin olive oil, but coconut and avocado oil are ok, too.
- Avocados: Whole avocado or fresh guacamole
- Low-carb veggies: Greens, tomatoes, peppers, onions
- Condiments: Salt, pepper, healthy herbs
- Meat: Steak, ham, chicken, sausage, bacon, turkey
- Fatty fish: Trout, tuna, mackerel, salmon
- Eggs: Pastured and omega-3 whole eggs
In most of the healthy diets and in Keto as well, it is good to base your meals on whole, single-ingredient foods.
You can get your Keto Recipies here
To avoid boredom and maximum nutritional intake you can always try to rotate your vegetables and meats.
Also, why don’t you take a free quiz to get your Custom Keto Diet here?
What Foods to Avoid in Keto
Since there is a little intake of carb in a ketogenic diet, so the foods with high carbohydrates should be limited.
There are below-mentioned foods that you must avoid in Keto diet
- Beans, peas, lentils, and peanuts
- Grains, such as pasta, rice, and oatmeal
- Low-fat dairy products
- Added sugars and sweeteners
- Sugary beverages, including soda and juice
- Common snack foods, such as potato chips, pretzels, and crackers
- Most fruits, except for lemons, limes, tomatoes, and small portions of berries
- Starchy vegetables, including corn, peas, and potatoes
- Trans fats, such as margarine or other hydrogenated fats
- Most alcohols, including beer, wine, and sweetened cocktails
If you’re looking to lose weight, keep in mind that the diet likely requires a complete overhaul to the way you normally eat. But it may be worth it if you’re looking to lose weight.
I have tried to give a brief overview of what keto diet is? How does it work? What to eat and what not to eat in a keto diet. I hope you like “Convincing reasons you need to know to follow a ketogenic diet for weight loss”.
Please share your views and comments.
You may like to read: